DC SHRM Spring 2019 Certification Study Group
Wednesdays, February 27 - May 15, 2019
6:00 - 8:00 pm
Online Course Delivery (first session in person)
If you've been thinking about obtaining your certification, why go it alone? Join us for a 12-week certification study group to prepare yourself for the SHRM certification exam. These sessions will be facilitated by certified members of DC SHRM. The first session will be held in person and the remaining sessions will be online.
Click here for more information on SHRM Certification.
Our mission is to help you become certified. We have priced this course to cover costs. The fees listed below are less than you'd pay for directly purchasing the SHRM Learning System. Take advantage of the discounted pricing. Registration is limited, so do not delay!
Why join DC SHRM's Learning System® Study Group?
- Most study groups are over $1000 to attend!
- Includes your own SHRM Learning System® which includes books, modules, practice exams and practice questions ($850-$1075 value)!
- Learn from the experience of current HR Practitioners (The SHRM exam is based on competencies in each area of
Human Resources so learning from experienced professionals is essential)
- Network and create small study groups with HR professionals in your area
- Learn test tips from individuals who have recently taken the SHRM exams
Study Group Fee:
- DC SHRM Members: $750
- Non-members: $825 (includes one year of membership in DC SHRM)
- The 2019 SHRM Learning System is a comprehensive online learning experience that helps you master the SHRM BoCK™ to advance your career and prepare for the SHRM-CP and SHRM-SCP exams.
- 12 Facilitated Sessions - Discuss each section of the learning system with a facilitator (DC SHRM member who holds the SHRM certification) and other students.
Certification Session Facilitators:
Leigh DeWulf, SHRM-SCP is the founder of HR.Coach, a provider of outsourced HR leadership and coaching services. Leigh is an executive-level human resources professional and master coach with a passion for building profitable companies by creating highly effective people programs. Leigh is the consummate “HR Generalist” with expertise in leadership development, candidate selection, personality and behavioral assessments, global workplaces and performance management. Leigh is known for her sense of humor and using stories to foster learning. She has developed content and delivered over 1000 hours of HR related training. Participant feedback highlights her immediately actionable content and hilarious stories from the trenches.
Leigh holds multiple coaching, behavioral competency and personality assessment certifications, and passed the SHRM-SCP exam in July 2015. She is also an active alumna of Virginia Tech and the Coach Training Institute, where she continues to give back as a volunteer trainer. She is noted for her ability to ask great questions, key in on what’s most important, and move people into action. Learn more at www.HR.coach.
- Kristina Griffin, SHRM-SCP, SPHR
Kristina S. Griffin is a certified professional with over 20 years of business experience in corporate, professional services, and not-for-profit environments. She is a problem solver and results focused human resources executive, who founded Pinnacle Consulting ~ People First, LLC, in 2011, by transitioning her years of progressive human resources management experience into a full service consulting practice. She leads, guides and directs the firm's corporate operations, strategic growth and human resources consulting services.
Kris held leadership roles in national and global organizations, where she developed and executed business strategies and human resources programs that contributed to organizational growth and talent retention. Her areas of expertise include human resources strategy and policy, conflict resolution, recruitment and staffing, training and development, workforce planning, employee relations, performance management, compliance and risk management. She enjoys finding ways to improve organizational effectiveness and productivity by analyzing, interpreting and applying human resources metrics.
- Jeffrey Naftal, SHRM-SCP, IPMA-SCP, MPM
Jeff Naftal has been in his current role since July of 2016. Before that, he served in multiple senior local government positions in Florida, South Carolina and Pennsylvania. He has been an Assistant City Manager, Deputy County Administrator and City Manager since 1987. As part of that role, in each of his stops, he has taken the lead on human capital management issues and projects. Major HR projects have ranged from union negotiations to implementing new HRIS to implementing performance evaluation systems to system-wide reorganizations. Other major projects have included large capital construction, IT infrastructure, and managing departments through internal reorganizations.
Jeff currently directs a team of 3 Human Resources Specialists (Recruiting/Staffing; Benefits Administration; Staff Development) and 2 HR Generalists. He is responsible for the development of personnel policies and procedures to benefit a workforce of 350 and has successfully managed their implementation of a new HRIS, a classification and compensation study, and a new continuous feedback performance evaluation system.
Study Group Delivery Method:
- The first session to kick off the program will be in person on February 27 from 6:00 - 9:00 pm at the Mortgage Bankers Association, 1919 F Street, NW, Washington, DC. Each participant will receive the SHRM Learning System at this first session and it will be a great opportunity to to meet the facilitator(s) and the other course participants. This first session is a little longer so there is enough time to get to know the participants and also hold the first education session. Dinner will be provided.
- The plan is to hold all remaining sessions online Wednesdays from 6:00 - 8:00 pm unless participants decide they would benefit from the final session to be held in person. GotoWebinar will be utilized as the webinar platform.
Why You Should Choose Certification and How to Register for the Exam:
Registration for the SHRM certification exam is a separate registration/fee paid directly to SHRM. Our study group will end on May 15, so you have two months to take the exam in the Spring 2019 window.
Please see the SHRM Spring 2019 exam window dates and relevant application deadlines below. You will also need to review the criteria to determine the appropriate certification, SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP. For more information, please visit the "Apply" section of the SHRM certification site.
2019 Spring Exam Window: May 1 - July 15, 2019
Applications Accepted: January 2, 2019
Regular Application Deadline: March 22, 2019
Late Application Deadline: April 12, 2019
Registration and Cancellation:
- Registration is limited to the first 15 students.
- Registration fee must be paid in order to confirm your spot in the study group.
- Although registration may sell out before this date, please be sure to register by February 13 to ensure that we have the SHRM Learning System available for you at the first class.
- Cancellation policy: In the unfortunate event that you must cancel your registration, please note there will be a $50 cancellation fee. No refunds are available after February 13.
Contact our DC SHRM staff with any questions about this study group - firstname.lastname@example.org or 443.966.3872.