Presented by Eric Williamson - President & CEO, Tailored Training Solutions
Thursday, September 20, 2018
8:30 am - 10:45 AM
RECERTIFICATION CREDIT - This program has been approved for 1.5 hours of SHRM and HRCI recertification credit.
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
“We don’t always get to choose the people we work with. We do, however, get to choose how we handle the relationships with the people we work with.” Eric L. Williamson
Who among us hasn’t been in conflict with others and wished we had better coping methods for dealing with it productively and with our sanity (and jobs!) intact? Let’s face it, conflict is unavoidable, and without a clear strategy for managing it, we inevitably suffer and risk failure on the job and in our careers. You’ve been wishing for it, and author and keynote speaker Eric L. Williamson will discuss the strategies for managing conflict and cultivating relationships in the workplace.
This presentation is for business professionals of all generations to manage conflict and cultivate relationships with others so you can work together and solve problems, and get stuff done. This presentation will cover:
- How to effectively manage conflict in a diverse environment. While working with people of different races and backgrounds promotes a healthy team environment, it can also create at toxic work environment if we are unprepared to manage the conflict that arises while working with others. There will be hands on activities in which participants will apply five of the six well-known techniques for adequately resolving team conflicts: confronting, compromise, collaborating, smoothing, and forcing (the sixth technique, withdrawal will not be covered).
- How to enhance self-awareness by understanding and recognizing emotions and behavior, and how to effectively respond to situations, minimizing the level of conflict that can prevent participant's from cultivating relationships. Participants will learn to think rationally by evaluating their own emotions and the emotions of their peers, which will allow them to solve problems more effectively. This will help participants successfully manage conflict, make better and more informed decisions, and think strategically and critically when interacting with others.
- How to master the art of active listening to build patience, foster respect, and create an open and transparent atmosphere where participants feel more comfortable, confident, and empowered to communicate issues more effectively. Active listening will help reduce conflict while enhancing peer-to-peer relationships that can be employed immediately.
- How to use non-verbal techniques when interacting with others. This segment will emphasize how accurately interpreting non-verbal signals is key to managing conflict when interacting with others in group settings or one on one.
In this session you will learn to:
- Diffuse tense situations and mitigate conflict
- Keep your cool during heated discussions
- Manage and deliver crucial conversations
ABOUT THE SPEAKER
As a keynote speaker and expert training consultant, Eric Williamson has seen the word success defined in numerous ways. Is it about good timing or luck, is it only meant for a select few? Or is there a different story? Eric’s view is inherently different. No matter how talented, gifted or experienced, and no matter what role we serve or title we carry, our level of success is not measured based on the work we produce; it is measured based on the relationships we build.
Eric is the author of the book, How to Work with Jerks and President and CEO of Tailored Training Solutions who helps organizations create an atmosphere where employees are acknowledged, valued, and developed into leaders. He is often referred to as the “Connector” for his ability to make his message resonate with groups, or as “the Change maker” for his ability to bring out the best in people.
Eric’s desire to see others improve, survive, and thrive in the workplace is what drives him to speak with you today. He has delivered programs to businesses and organizations throughout the country. And today, he is excited for the opportunity to share tips and strategies that will help you not only survive but thrive in the work environment. Today he will share some insight about how to work with jerks and effectively manage relationships in the workplace.
8:30 - 9:00 am Continental Breakfast and Networking
9:00 - 9:15 am Welcome & Announcements
9:15 - 10:45 am Program
10:45 - 11:00 am Book Signing
DC SHRM is thrilled to bring you more information on conflict resolution. Eric L. Williamson will be joining us on September 20 to discuss this pressing issue, and sign copies of his book, How to Work With Jerks, following the meeting!
Refund Policy: Refund requests must be made via email to email@example.com. No refunds will be provided for this event after September 14.